Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Guying

To: 'TT TowerTalk' <TowerTalk@contesting.com>, Tom W1ALZ Nicholson <Gunsrus1942@Comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Guying
From: "J. Hunt via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 01:39:17 +0000 (UTC)
It is very discouraged to anchor any tower to a tree.

No manufacture or city code would approve of that method.

I have witnessed catastrophic tower failures of trees uprooting and / or
leaning.  Each case, the tower and antennas ended up as scrap metal.

The proper method of anchoring any tower is by guy anchors or posts buried to
the proper depth (dependent on soil make-up).

My tower is anchored by 6" schedule 80 posts, buried >7' deep x >3' diameter
concrete back-fill with re-bar.  Soil composition is ~2.5' soil, remainder
solid rock.
It was very difficult drilling / jack-hammering punching through the rock, each
hole was belled out at the bottom.

Merry Christmas / Thanks n 73,
James
ki5dq