Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 loading coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 loading coils
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 03:24:24 -0500

From my experience and memory:
I wouldn't say Cool Amp plating is for the birds, but it is a "flash plating", only a few molecules thick. In a power amp, it provides better connections, but is pretty much an appearance enhancement. Electroplating for appearance, a few thousandths of an inch thick provides a much better appearance (shiny) and provides a much better skin depth resistance while the oxide is conductive. 1/4", to 3/8ths in Copper rod would be expensive, but much more rigid than tubing, but on longer coils it will sag and continue to sag over time. It's less available than refrigeration tubing which is soft and easy to bend. Copper rod will not be as soft and will tend to spring out to a larger diameter coil after the tension is released. A metallurgist, or mechanical engineer could give better figures than I. Soft Copper Tubing can be work hardened, but it's difficult for an individual to uniformly work harden a length of tubing as well as keeping the result straight. Then form a coil to a specific diameter and pitch.

As for Cool Amp, we used a lot in Industry, but with the knowledge that it was a "flash plating" We also used a smooth silver electroplating using Silver Cyanide solutions as well as the rough plating from using Silver Nitrate.

It's been a long time, but I remember to keep the two solutions apart, well labeled, and contained so they may not be mixed by accident. Mixing the two can produce a substantial amount of Cyanide gas.

73

Roger (K8RI)