Re: [TowerTalk] My first introduction to guy-wire dead end grips

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My first introduction to guy-wire dead end grips
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:17:55 -0600
John,

How did the grip corrosion compare to the guy cable itself?

My tower guy ran into a situation where he was installing a 180ft tower kit
for a client and found some of the grips were already showing signs of
corrosion out of the barrel...  He learned that the tower builder had
substituted off shore built wraps for their normal stock and the
galvanization was dramatically inferior to their normal stock.

He also noted that the inferior grips were noticeably stiffer than whatever
he normally used.  I don't know if that would be good or bad...

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 9:26 AM, john@kk9a.com <john@kk9a.com> wrote:

> he only Big Grips that I have seen close to failure were installed on my
> tower in Aruba.  After four years they were badly corroded and I could
> break the strands with my fingers.

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT
kkidd@kkbc.com  --  866-22-RADIO -- 866-227-2346