Re: [TowerTalk] copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 13:08:56 -0500
> "So two 8 ft rods, 8ft apart is essentially the same as a single 16 ft
rod."

That assumes the soil content is the same along the depth of the rod.  After
driving 50 ground rods in sandy soil conditions last spring,  there was no
substitute for rod depth - at least in our soil condition.  We achieved
nearly all the low resistance earth readings with four 26 ft. rods out of
the 50-rod system design.  As a rod is driven deeper in some areas, it may
strike a more conductive region where one longer rod results in
substantially less earth resistance than well-spaced shorter rods.

So, I accept the 2x rod length spacing distance as a general guideline (as
required now by many AHJs), but don't always agree with the quote above if
we're discussing earth resistance.

Paul, W9AC