Re: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system
From: N3AE <n3ae@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 22:35:28 +0000 (UTC)
When I put up my tower last year, the one and only thing our county electrical
inspector wanted to see was a bond between the tower and the detached garage
sub-panel's ground rod, which is a few feet away from the tower.

He said this was required by the Article 810 of the 2011 NEC. That garage
subpanel is bonded to the house main service panel via a bare #10 in the
underground feeder to the garage. Per Code, the neutral and ground buses in the
subpanel are NOT connected to each other.

My tower layout is described in an earlier post:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2014-09/msg00112.html

The NEC is focused on electrical safety and not necessarily the most effective
system for lightning protection. Like many folks, my tower grounding for
lightning is still a work in process. Currently have 6 rods in a radial
fashion, plus a Ufer ground in concrete base. A bunch more rods planned for the
spring. I still debate about running some #4 underground from the tower to the
house electrical service entrance ground rod. The tower is already DC bonded to
the house service panel through the bare ground conductor in the electrical
feeder to the garage, but it freaks me out a bit that this feeder runs through
the basement for the length of the house. But adding another ground wire run
outside sets up a rather big ground loop, which also concerns me.

N3AE