Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: The Need for Grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: The Need for Grounding
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:02:09 -0600 (CST)
lightning may not even follow the path of 'least resistance', at least as you
conceive it.  connecting a low resistance wire to a ground rod does not mean
that
the lightning current will follow that wire, it will also divide itself up and
go down the feedlines, through the concrete base, and even jump through the air
to nearby
buildings, trees, etc.

also as noted earlier, lightning currents going into a normal ground rod
DECREASE its effect resistance... the higher the current the lower the
resistance
goes as the soil around the rod starts to ionize and conduct more current away
from the rod.  a typical 25 ohm rod may get down to 6 ohms at the peak of
a lightning stroke if most of the current is going there.

no, you can not just consider rods chained together as a series of resistors in
parallel... that may work for DC or power frequency currents, but not for rf or
lightning.
especially with lightning you have to consider the propagation time of the
current through the wire under ground which is much slower than through a wire
above ground.  also current is being bled off from the horizontal wires also
reducing what each rod further out sees... so as you go farther away from the
tower
each rod becomes less useful in lightning cases.