Re: [TowerTalk] The Need for Grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The Need for Grounding
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 10:34:10 -0800
On Thu,1/14/2016 9:45 AM, David Robbins wrote:
what is the intended purpose of said ground screen not being connected to the
tower.  if you area going to shuntfeed the tower then you want the ground
screen as big as you can make it and attached securely to the tower.

Right. And they SHOULD be bonded to the mesh in the slab. The question is, the usefulness of elevated radials on a grounded tower. To take advantage of their elevation, they must be bonded to the tower. I would bond them at the base, sloping them up from that point to their elevated height as they extend from the tower. But they will, by virtue of their height, reduce somewhat the effective height of the antenna. I'm going from N6LF's excellent work on the subject, and by modeling. I'd pay attention contrary advice from guys like K1TTT and W3LPL.

73, Jim K9YC