Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] PhillyStrand GRIPS???

To: Dan Cisson <n4gnr@windstream.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] PhillyStrand GRIPS???
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:28:36 -0800
The current Phillystran (PS) jacket is bonded to the Kevlar core. The core is twisted strands, much like 7x19 wire rope and I think that adds to the grip of the jacket to the Kevlar. The jacket is only thick enough to protect the Kevlar from UV. I measured the jacket on 3 different breaking strength (1200, 2100, 6700#) current Phillys and they were all the same thickness +/- the accuracy of measurement with a digital caliper and how well the Kevlar was centered in the jacket. The jacket is the same thickness as on my 26,000# Philly of many years of age and the non-adhering jacket.

I haven't tested grips for PS yet on my tension tester, but I have no reason to doubt they work as well as grips on EHS. I used them on my boom and element guys with the HPTG-2100-I.

Check the installation instructions for the PS as it specifies a pretension value and then re-tension after 24 hours to remove the initial set.

Grant KZ1W