Re: [TowerTalk] I think it might be worth investing in a guy wire tensio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] I think it might be worth investing in a guy wire tension gauge
From: "D. Drake" <daleaa1qd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:57:04 -0500
I am a retired engineer (a nuclear engineer to be
specific, sort of a mechanical engineer with more
calculus and physics classes). My engineering
common sense told me that cable stiffness that
differed from the stiffness of the cable used to
calibrate a Loos PT-2 type tension gage would
result in an error in measured tension.  I was
curious as to how much so a couple years ago I did
an experiment using a Loos PT-2.  I connected a
piece of Loos 3/16" SS 1x19 302/304 wire ( type
that Loos says the PT-2 is calibrated for) to a
length of ROHN 3/16"  EHS. I tensioned the
assembly with a come-a-long and a big game scale
between two big maples in the back yard.  I set
the tension to 400# on the scale and measured the
tension on the Loos SS cable with the PT-2 at very
close to 400#.  With the same tension on the
assembly I moved the PT-2 to the 3/16" EHS and
read a tension on the PT-2 of 500# (the game scale
still showed 400#).   I then relaxed and
re-tensioned the assembly several time to check
the repeatability of the results.  The results
were quite consistent.  I reached the conclusion
that at the recommend 400# of tension ( ROHN
recommendation) a PT-2 will read 500# on their
3/16" EHS cable.  I didn't bother to check the
error at differing tensions since the only tension
of concern was 400#.  Common sense says the
greater the tension, the less the difference in
cable stiffness will affect the measurement.

73,

Dale AA1QD

Message: 6