Re: [TowerTalk] Klm 40m-1

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Klm 40m-1
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:59:04 -0600
I helped a friend put up a 4 element 40 M KLM. I am sure that the 1 element is
just the driven element of that antenna. We did not have any problems with the
elements and there wasn't a truss necessary. It made it through several high
wind situations before the "weak" boom broke in half. (I think this was the
weak point of those antennas but should be of no concern for you. I completely
disagree with Jim about the CC XM 240.  I have had that antenna up for a number
of years and although theoretically you might improve the XM240 with a
modification of the coils, the antenna is almost magic the way it works. There
is a problem with the coils and that is they are very touchy. I mine has been
through a number of storms in the last 15 years and near lightning strikes will
vaporize those coils.  On two occasions I have had to buy new coils and replace
the old ones.

Bill W5VX