[TowerTalk] Buried or Elevated

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Buried or Elevated
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 22:42:24 -0800
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:26:53 -0500
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried or Elevated

I installed a "pull rope, or messenger cable" when I installed the
conduit.  No need for the exercise of blowing a cable through the pipe.
    The rope is a bit over twice the conduit length.  4th photo from the
top on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm

73

Roger  (K8RI)

##  Buried  PVC, like  3 or  4 or 5 inch....works most of the time, but it can
be a crap shoot.
After working at the the local telco for 34 years, I have seen it all..and
heard all the stories from
co-horts who worked outside all year round.  Some would be dry as a bone after
years...and some
looked like you pumped one helluva lot of water into them.   I have seen some
splice box tubs that
had to be pumped everytime they had to be worked on, and with lid removed, they
would be full to the
top with water, while others were dry.

##  the other problem with water ingress..... depending on outside temps, and
frost line,  water will freeze,
ice expands, then causes more problems, with pvc bursting or cracking..which
allows more water in come spring time.
Any coax or cables you stuff through the pvc should be able to be immersed in
water.  The other issue is the pvc
settling at a low point, somewhere along its say  200 ft length.   Get water in
there, and it will pool up at the low point..
then have fun trying to dry it out.

Jim   VE7RF