[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Rohn 45 Base Section

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Rohn 45 Base Section
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:33:24 -0500
Tom,

If you want to try some unorthodox methods you might try to "drill down" a
couple (or 4) screw anchors and attach your 3'x3' concrete plate to them, or
better, attach some "H" or "I" steel beams to them and then attach your tower
there. I have been playing with the idea of using screw anchors to build the
base for a self-supporting tower. You can easily reach frost-free ground and
the possible pull force of a screw anchor is well known. (I don't remember what
screw anchor I used, 6" or 8", but they are good for 14,000#.

I always felt a little uneasy with attaching a tower to a building. I don't
know how much force you can put on a building and would be very afraid of the
tower ripping the point-of-contact off the house. I know it's done and I can
just assume it's OK. You have to calculate how much, worst case, force you can
expect and then see if your house is strong enough for that, keeping in mind
that this force is varying and will cause fatigue.

Supporting a 40' tower at 16' with only 7 sqf of wind load doesn't sound that
bad but I don't know the wind situation in your case. My tower should be able
to survive 135 mhp and I hope it never gets tested to that amount.

Hans - N2JFS