Re: [TowerTalk] Receive active 4-sq vs Shared apex loop performance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Receive active 4-sq vs Shared apex loop performance
From: Fernando González, EC1CT <ec1ct@esbesaya.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 16:52:43 +0100
Hi Krish,
Haven´t tested nor the beverage neither the 8 circle array but I got some experience with shared apex loop from array solutions (SAL-30). A year ago I friend of mine Oscar EA1DR was looking for some reception antenna for his contest station up in the mountains. He was thinking in some beverages as he has enough property for them. I talked to thim about the SAL-30 that Array Solutions was just released and ended up emailing Craig K9CT who was using one. He said the SAL-30 outperformed their beverages marginally but it takes lot of less space so Oscar ordered one promptly. I guess it was the first sold out of the US. Oscar EA1DR, Pedro EA1YO and me spent half day setting the SAL up located about 700 feet away from the shack and as far as we could from the transmitting antennas (2 elements on 40, 1/4 vertical on 80 and inverted L on 160). The first tests we did that day (at night) was really impressive. We managed to get 23-25 db f/b and we were able to hear (and contact) HL5IVL and DU7ET easily on 160. If I remember correctly that was on October so not that bad. The performance was amazing on top band and quite good on 80 with some excellents results on 40. The manual was clear and well documented and Array Solutions replied quickly to our enquires. I personally didn´t liked so much the fiberglass mast that they sell with the SAL but Array Solutions offers you a package without them (you provide the mast yourself) which is really a point in their favour and makes the shipment overseas affordable. The footprint of the system is another favourable thing as it would be easily fit in virtually any back yard. If you want more info, you could see some videos on Internet about the SAL and even I guess Oscar EA1DR uploaded some from his Top Band activity. 73
EC1CT Fernando - KD0IGJ
ec1ct@esbesaya.com

-----Mensaje original----- From: krishna kumar via TowerTalk