[TowerTalk] Cadwelding to Rohn 45G and 55G

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding to Rohn 45G and 55G
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 12:38:09 -0700
I am in the process of putting in two new towers on my property (yes, I am
blessed).

I'm a little nervous about Cadwelding to the legs.  I suppose you'll all
tell me it has been done dozens of times, but I have visions of blowing a
hole through one of the legs near the bottom of my tower.

The alternative, I suppose, is to get a set of quality ground clamps, clamp
it maybe three times (I assume this would help the impedance a bit) and the
inspect it over time.

I also plan to have an extensive "ground ring" around the tower.  On my
current crankup, I cadwelded to all three "legs" except it was easy to
Cadweld to a nice thick base and not to the tower, proper.  Effectively
required, in fact.  So, I Cadwelded to stuff that wasn't a big deal,
structurally.  Here it would be.

1.  Do I Cadweld anyway?  How to be sure the tower leg isn't weakened?

2.  Do I do it to a single leg or all three?  I could "feed" my ground ring
from a single leg, I suppose.

This is all in excess of what Rohn shows, which is a single, clamped line
from the tower, but I've always taken it for granted the smart thing to do
is have a more extensive network.  I plan on three rods, connected as a
ring, and then copper "lines" out from each of them to another rod, a total
of six in all.  That's all easy and been done (by me) before.  Question is,
what's the best way to connect to the tower itself?  I have the "buried
tower section" type of base.  We will be pouring concrete late next week.
So, I have about a month to plan and execute my ground system.

Larry WO7R