Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 09:38:46 -0800
That advice comes from N6LF, but it is sort of reinforced by the much earlier table of radial lengths from the ARRL Antenna Book. Loss in radials is greatest where current is greatest, and that's near the base of the antenna. Power loss is I squared R, and the greater the number of radials, the smaller the current. So using more short radials is better than a few longer ones, especially if they are on the ground. Also, there's nothing magic about 67 ft -- it's still much shorter than a quarter wave, which is in the range of 90-100 ft for a wire laying on/in the ground.

73, Jim K9YC