Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: MASTS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: MASTS
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 14:21:33 -0400
Alternative materials for masts , or any material leave you playing the odds. The stronger the materials the more the odds are in your favor. An antenna of only 5 sq ft of wind area on a 145' mast become the equivalent of a 75 sq ft antenna. Far, far beyond the ability of water pipe, sked 40, or even 80. Water pipe is the same material as rigid conduit which is easily bent with hand tools although hydraulic benders are used on larger sizes.

EMT come in 10' lengths. I've never seen longer.
For rotators mounted down in the tower, torque resonance is a real thing. The longer the mast, the lower the frequency. Strength is not a direct indication of spring

Many materials have been used, but often the success is in spite of inferior materials and a lot of luck.

I'm surprised EMT would be rated near those specs as it's designed to be easily bent with hand tools. Larger sizes are available in 90, or sweep 45s and 90s as the would collapse if bent.

Just because something non standard worked for someone does not mean it wioll work for you.

73

Roger  (K8RI)