Re: [TowerTalk] "Magic" length from tower to first insulator

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Magic" length from tower to first insulator
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 23:56:01 -0400
I have read a few of the responses to this 'magic length' question but recall something I found in an older ARRL Antenna Book. I lived in the D.C. area unit 1998. West of D.C. in Manassas, Va I bought a home with just over 5.5 acres and had my little antenna farm with 5 towers there where I lived for 9 years. The antenna book came in to play when I was trying to decide on the NON-resonant lengths that I could use to be safe when I was erecting the towers. First of all I had torque bars on all of my towers. Just off the torque bars within the first few feet was my first insulator. The towers each had 5 sets of guys and only the lowest set did not have an insulator virtually right off the tower. I think at the time the lengths beyond that were 39ft 6" to the next insulator. Don't ask me why I remember that but it just sticks in my head that that length was safe and non-resonant. Otherwise, look in an Antenna Handbook..perhaps an older copy. The answer is sure to be there. - '73, Mike

-----Original Message----- From: jimlux