Re: [TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:50:32 -0400
The original post stated a different protocol, but Binary Coded Decimal (BCD) is simple and decoding chips are cheap! Counting to 10 in binary only takes 4 wires, or outputs. I've never looked at the outputs on mine. I built a number of BCD decoders with opto isolators on perf board to control relays when I was a tech.

The 4 lines out are as follows. (1,2,4,8) No lines activated = zero. The first line high = one, the second line = two. The first and second high = three ( 1 + 2 = 3), the third line = 4 (just add the consecutive lines as you count to 10). Yes, you can count higher with 4 lines, but the encoders rarely go above 10.

It just take a decoder chip and the control chips to actuate the relays, plus either pull down, or pull up resistors.

Having a board already laid out makes building a band decoder/controller very easy and much neater than perf board.

Roger  (K8RI)