Re: [TowerTalk] Update on 40' non-guyed tower question

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Update on 40' non-guyed tower question
From: TexasRF--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 15:30:27 -0400
John, in this case the Rohn design will not work. The 40 ft Rohn  design
calls for a bracket at 15ft and 30ft.

Common sense says other bracket locations would work but there is no
manufacturer's data to support that.

The safe moment of restraint for 25G has been published in the past but not
 in recent documents. It was about 7,000 ft lbs back when. The old
documentation  also stated a wind load of about seven pounds per lineal foot of
tower just for  the tower sections alone, at 70 mph wind speed. One can take
this information  and derive a rational conclusion about wind load and wind
speed but there is no  supporting documentation and you are out on your own.

Since the Rohn design can't be used, it becomes imperative to find a
competent engineer to do the proper calculations to derive some credible wind
load and survival data.

Note that there has been no mention of the desired antenna wind load or
survival wind speed. Both of these are critical to determine what can be done
safely.

This is a classic example of projects that can go awry and cause property
damage or worse yet injury or even death to an individual.

73,
Gerald Williamson, K5GW
GM Texas Towers

In a message dated 5/5/2016 2:04:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time,