Re: [TowerTalk] Right Angle Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Right Angle Connectors
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 05:55:21 -0700
On 5/7/16 12:40 PM, Kevin Stover wrote:
Thanks Jim,

I did that.
Do a search on the Amphenol site for 182102 or 182311.
What comes up are the crimp versions of the PL-259 for RG-213, 8U,
etc.... The difference being 102 has a solder on contact and 311 is
crimp. Click on the specs and it'll give you a run down of the
electrical and mechanical specs of the connector. The crimp on is Nickel
plated brass with a solder on gold plated brass center contact and
Phenolic insulator.
Interestingly the crimp on 259 is rated to 2.5 GHz whereas the solder on
is rated to 300 MHz.
Better braid contact? I don't know.

Or more likely - there's no *requirement* to go higher for the solder on one. Someone, somewhere must have put out an RFP asking for it.

It's not like it's a constant impedance connector, so saying it goes to 2.5GHz is sort of meaningless. For all we know the return loss at 2.5 GHz is -3dB and the forward loss is 40dB, but hey, we did the test at 2.5GHz, just like you asked.