Re: [TowerTalk] Tower maintenance person wanted - MN

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower maintenance person wanted - MN
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 12:50:17 -0700
I would like to add something to the list of maintenance items. The reduction gear used for the motorized winch on the US Towers is a worm drive unit. The lube in these worm drive gear boxes should be changed periodically. Because of the sliding contact with the worm gears, the lube becomes contaminated. I had never thought of the gearbox and never changed the lube on my US Tower HDX589 tower since I had it installed 12 years ago. It was giving a high pitched squeal and the case was getting hot. Anyway, I drained the old lube, (looked like dirty motor oil when you change the oil in your car) and filled the box up again, ran it for awhile to flush out any remaining crapola, drained it again, then put in fresh lube. Hub City, says for our usage, they recommend doing this every 5 years or sooner depending on how much we run the gearbox. I plan to
change mine every two years now.  Its easy to do.

73,
Bob
K6UJ