Re: [TowerTalk] Solar Cycle 24 Prediction Panel Report

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solar Cycle 24 Prediction Panel Report
From: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 16:30:24 -0700
>consensus".
>

>In science you cannot have a consensus. Something either is or isn't. The
>statement points to how politics has entered the world of Science whether
it
>be forecasting a solar cycle or global warming.
>
>My forecast for cycle 24 is for it to begin in June 2007 and peak at a
>smoothed SSN of 105 in 2012. Recently there have been a number of
>predictions calling for solar cycle 24 to be very large if not the largest
>since solar cycle 19. Not only do I think that those hyped forecasts are
>incorrect and have stated so on a number of propagation email reflectors,
my
>forecast for cycle 24 is for it to be weaker than solar cycle 23. As a ham
>radio operator I hope I'm wrong but we won't know either way for a number
of
>years.
>
>73,
>Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
>Lakeland, FL, USA
>kn4lf@earthlink.net

I came across this old post from April 2007 in the archives and thought it
might be interesting to compare Thomas' predictions from 9 years ago to
what actually happened.

Thomas predicted cycle 24 would start in June 2007, the actual start was in
January 2008 -- not bad-- off by only 6 months.

He predicted a peak in 2012 -- the dual peaks occurred in 2011 and 2014.

He predicted the peak to reach a smoothed SSN of 105 -- the actual peaks
were 99 for the first peak and 101 for the second. Not bad at all. In fact,
he nearly nailed it.

73,
Jerry