[TowerTalk] C31XR question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C31XR question
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 20:08:19 -0700
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 19:43:27 -0600
From: VE5ZX <ve5zx@hotmail.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR question
Bob - K6UJ - and Tom - N2SR (off reflector response),

Thanks for the suggestions

I do have an Easy-on Mount but I have not used it. I wasn't sure if it
would be safe to rotate the boom to get the elements vertical and then
tilt the antenna using the Easy-on mount. BTW - the balun I am using is
a EB-2.

The C31XR is mounted close to the top of the tower.   The tower has 4
guy lines. Rotating the boom might make it easier to get to the 15 & 20m
driven without dropping a guy line.

The bottom of the Easy-on Mount plate that is attached to the mast is
about 6" above the top of the tower plate. I am worried that I won't be
able to tilt the boom down far enough to reach the 20/15 driven from the
tower before the boom hits the plate at the top of the tower.

Have either of you (or anyone else) tilted a C31XR boom mounted close to
the top of a tower?

tnx - Syl – VE5ZX

##  yes, the C31XR boom has been rotated using the easy mount. You can either
1st rotate the boom 90 degs, then rotate the boom vert  via the easy mount.  Or
just rotate the boom vert  via easy mount.

##The easy mount comes with 5 bolts.  Remove the 4 in the corners, then loosen
the
5th one a  tiny bit.,   Then rotate the boom vert.    If too close to the top
of the tower, then
1st  move the entire yagi up the mast a bit.

##  the easy mount IMO, is the best, simplest  boom to best arrangement yet.
It has the
optibeam, high gain, and every other method beat by a mile.   I have seen and
also built  several
HB versions of the easy mount, but using thicker plates, like .375 inch thick,
and also wider, like
17 inches wide by  8 inches  tall.   I used the deluxe   jumbo, super heavy
duty DX eng mast clamps
for the plate that is mounted to the mast.    And regular  dx eng  U bolts and
solid saddles for the
horz plate.   On the 40m yagi, I used  3 x u bolts on eithger side for the Horz
plate..6 in total.
I used  3 of the heavy duty mast clamps for the vert plate.  If u do it right,
you can easily use 2
x  jumbo clamps above the boom center line for the vert plate..and a single
jumbo mast clamp
below the boom center line....and this is with a 17 inch tall vert
plate...which is 8 inches wide.

## I used  .375 inch bolts  for the 4 x corners..... then a  1/2 inch  bolt for
the  5th one..which is the
bolt that the entire boom pivots on.   They are very easy to make in most
configs.  I have seen several
cases where  HB easy on plates have been retrofitted to existing yagis, like
204 and 205 Bas  etc, etc.

##  Just get the assy high enough  above the top of the tower, so u can take
advantage of the plates,,so u
can pivot the boom into the vert plane.   U can always lower the assy..after
the fact, if required, which is
a pita, but doable.

Jim   VE7RF