Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject)
From: "Danny Pease" <dpease@adams.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 11:28:51 -0500
I was looking at a linear actuator as it is available pretty cheaply and it
came to mind as I was contemplating a cheap but effective way to drive a
chain system. From that point, my mind wandered to a pinion gear on the
bottom of the mast and a rack gear attached to a linear actuator (think CNC
equipment rather than automotive). There are various gear reduction systems
that would work, but buying then new is pretty pricey, a new linear actuator
with 12 inches of movement can be had for $50. Another alternative is a
garage door opener system to provide the push and pull to a chain or cable.

I do look at McMaster Carr but I try to avoid them as I see so many
different parts that send me off in tangents and pretty soon I forget what I
was doing to begin with :-)

NG9R

Message: 1