Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling question - for the experts!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling question - for the experts!
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 09:43:45 -0700
On Thu,6/2/2016 5:38 AM, StellarCAT wrote:
So here are the questions:

1) WHY when I model a full size 2 element 40 does it not have a low SWR on 15
when I know in the real world people have said it should/does?

At least to some extent, you're asking the wrong question. Interaction is FAR more than VSWR. Interaction is PATTERN DISTORTION and/or performance degradation. Pattern distortion can be in the vertical plane, the horizontal plane, or both. To see it, we must look at the far field pattern with and without the interfering antenna, and carefully compare the plots on the same drawing.

One method I've found to do this is to model the "primary" antenna, save the model, and save plots for H and V field strength, then add the interfering antenna, look at the H & V plots, and with each, add the saved plots to the display. NOW, you can see very clearly the effect of the interfering antenna, if there is any.

Another method that I've used is to build the model with both antennas and compare H and V plots of the primary antenna as I rotate (or raise and lower) the "wires" defining the interfering antenna. Again, to see the interference, we must look at plots "with and without" the interfering antenna on the same graph.

When I evaluate an antenna, I typically look at the vertical pattern on axis, and the horizontal pattern at 5, 10, and 15 degrees elevation. When a second antenna (or wires in the vicinity) are interacting, the "pretty" pattern of the primary antenna will be less pretty. :)

73, Jim K9YC