Re: [TowerTalk] Balanced wire feed line

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balanced wire feed line
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 11:44:40 -0700
On Sun,6/19/2016 9:36 AM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:
The problem is that the feed line works as part of the antenna and there is CM
current along the feed line starting at the antenna.
Right.
  That current dies out once it reaches the shack and will cause no problem
inside my shack.

Wrong. It only becomes small when it reaches the shack if it encounters a high common mode impedance at the shack between it and other conductors (like a ground, or connections to other equipment). That high common mode impedance could take the form of an effective common mode choke or an ordinary 2-winding transformer with low capacitance between the windings. And it can still be large at the top and along the line.

It's just like an extra wire from the antenna down towards my shack and it is
radiating all the way down with an influence to the radiation pattern.
Right.
I don't know how big of a problem it is in my case as I have nothing more than
my tower next to it.

Your tower is another conductor, and is probably grounded. The common mode current on the line will couple to it, and BOTH can radiate. Remember, that tower acts like an antenna too -- it's a conductor with some electrical length.

I can, lively, imaging if it passes a TV, telephone or a HIFI setup on its way
down.

This is radio -- the feedline doesn't have to "pass" these devices to radiate energy that is received when wires connected to those devices act as receiving antennas, because most of those devices have Pin One Problems.

73, Jim K9YC