Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incidents

To: "k3lr@k3lr.com" <k3lr@k3lr.com>, 'Wilson' <infomet@embarqmail.com>, 'towertalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incidents
From: Mark Pride via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:00:22 +0000 (UTC)
Similar experience with some differences here:
While a crew of local hams (myself included) were taking down the 3 towers at
the QTH of Jim Fisk (W1HR of Ham Radio Magazine fame), after taking two 100 ft.
Rohn 25 tower without incident, the 3rd tower came down not the way we planned.
 While I was at the 40 ft. level (last set of guys to be removed) and K1GQ was
at 35 ft. the ground crew loosened the first turnbuckle and at the last turn,
it popped off and the tower began to fall.  The other two guys had not been
loosened at that point.  Aside from having our belts attached to the tower, we
were also blessed with several tree branches around the tower that caught those
two guys and actually served to stop the tower about 5 ft. above ground.  When
both of us came to a sudden stop (fortunately not ground level), we spun
around, hanging under the tower by our belts.  We carefully got off the tower
and took a break from lunch!  Wow!
The first two towers had bases properly installed (4 ft. of concrete or so),
where the last tower was merely sitting on some granite ledge with a couple
inches of concrete around the legs to keep it from moving.  It was clearly not
able to stand on its own.  It must have been installed with a lower set of
temporary guys when first erected.
Lesson - check every aspect of the tower before any work is performed.  I think
I was in my late twenties at that time.
Tim - glad you're still with us OM! Regards, Mark, K1RX