Re: [TowerTalk] Ufer Grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ufer Grounding
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 13:20:16 -0500
"Regular" rebar vs weldable rebar. You don't weld regular rebar because of strength issues. With regular rebar you wouldn't weld anywhere strength is an issue due to embrittlement etc. However, welding something onto the end of a piece of rebar which is not going to be mechanically challenged at the weld should not be a problem.

For example: You want to attach a ground wire to the end of a piece of rebar. You can weld a nut to the rebar and then use a bolt to attach an electrical terminal to the end of the rebar. The nut (and bolt) can be stainless steel if you prefer. You should waterproof the above connection. Wrap with good tape and cover with silicon rubber or use your favorite weatherproofing process. A good electrical compound such as no-alox or equivalent can also be used in addition to the weatherproofing..

Cad-welding to the end of a piece of rebar that is not going to be heavily stressed mechanically should not pose a problem (issue for the younger set.)

Patrick        NJ5G