Re: [TowerTalk] Strong FM Station Impact on Antenna Analyzer Use in VHF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strong FM Station Impact on Antenna Analyzer Use in VHF
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:34:17 -0700
At one QTH where I lived in Chicago, I was about 2.5 miles from the Hancock building and 3.5 miles from Sears Tower, where virtually ALL of the FM and TV transmitters in Chicago were located. I had a good-sized FM/TV VHF/UHF Yagi on the roof pointed midway between those two sites, with passive splitters to an excellent Technics FM RX with 6-section variable capacitor front end. Over a period of about 5 years, I heard intermod only once, and it occurred during a late night maintenance period. It was there for perhaps an hour and then gone. And I heard that intermod on the FM RX, not in my ham rigs. In those days, my only VHF operation was 2M via repeaters.

Because these transmitters were all on tall buildings >1,200 ft and east of the Mississippi River, ERPs of the FMs and low-band VHF TVs were in the range of 6kW, high-band VHF TV in the range of 100 kW, and UHF TV in the range of 300 kW.

I was on the tech committee maintaining 2M, 220 MHz, and 440 MHz repeaters in the Chicago loop. The 2M repeater was at about 1,000 ft, in the shadow of Sears and a mile or so from Hancock. We could not use an on-site RX on 2M because the intermod and phase noise from 50+ broadcast transmitters and a thousand or so 2-way sites was so bad that it couldn't hear a talkie less than a mile away. Instead, we used voted RX sites 30 miles to the S and 15 miles to the N. The 440 MHz system used only on-site RX, and intermod was low enough that it worked quite well.

As to AM band -- I was within a few miles of a couple of low power (250-1,000W) stations, and roughly 15 miles from five 50KW clear channel stations. I often heard WBBM's second harmonic, but not very loud (780 kHz, 50 kW), and had intermittent intermods on 160M from several stations that I never identified. These came and went, so I always suspected they were generated by flaky connections in structure or wiring and re-radiated. NONE of this would have been helped by a BCB filter, because it occurred outside my station.

A BCB filter only helps when the signal is overloading the receiver in YOUR station. If you're using bandpass filter sets, it's likely that they provide at least as much suppression in the BCB as do low cost BCB filters, and for many filter sets, a lot more suppression. I DID use BCB filters when I lived in Chicago, but I wasn't convinced that they did much. :) I was mostly using pretty decent rigs -- K2, TS850, OmniV, which also helps.

73, Jim K9YC

I later moved about 3 miles N,