Re: [TowerTalk] 6-meter antenna height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6-meter antenna height
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 09:56:32 -0700
On Sun,7/31/2016 7:16 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
I'm not convinced that says much about antenna height on six meters ...

That was exactly my point!

I've managed to work 413 and confirm 388 grids (49 states - need AK)
in five seasons with nothing more than essentially a double zepp at
about 25 feet.

Not surprising. Look at the 6M maps at dxmaps.com on a day to day basis. Those of you in the eastern half of the US get a LOT more openings in a lot more directions than we do in northern W6, and there are a lot more active hams in single-hop range. I had to go to meteor scatter and tropo (using ISCAT) for a couple of dozen mid-range grids, most of those from expeditions to those grids by a half dozen enterprising hams. K7BV alone is responsible for a dozen very rare grids that he activated on trips to and from hamfests. Dennis works for Yaesu in marketing. KB7Q is another grid warrior. I think you and I worked on 6M CW either this season or last. I'm going from memory -- my email computer is not in my shack.

W6JTI, a great CW op, gave me and several of my friends CM79 by hiking up a 3 mile trail that climbs 1,000 ft. In the last couple of weeks, Frank and I have completed skeds for CN70 (a portable setup with his K3 and a 3-el Yagi) and CN80 (from his mountain-top contesting shack). He's planning CN71 next month from a site near where he'll be staying overnight with a relative. This is all very sparsely populated area, where the principal crop is green and smokable. :)

73, Jim K9YC