Re: [TowerTalk] 300' of line - - wondering about hardline, 9913, CATV RG

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 300' of line - - wondering about hardline, 9913, CATV RG6 or RG11
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 05:44:44 -0400
On 08/06/2016 01:40 AM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
When I live NW of Farwell MI, my coax runs were over 350 feet to the top
of the tower.
I had a new, 1000 ft reel of 3/4", 75 ohm hard line minus the outer
layer (free).  the soil was sand with a few small, smooth stones. I
buried it direct and had no problems.  Do that here and I doubt the
jacket would last 6 months. Connectors and adapters were cheap and easy
to make.
I didn't like the 1/2" as I found it was too fragile and easy to kink.

Yes, it depends on where you live. The soil here is sand. The runs to the top of my primary tower are a bit over 350 feet. One of the cables is 3/4" 75 ohm (actually .84 or whatever it is) without the jacket. 150 feet of it was on the ground and 100 feet buried for 9 years prior to being pulled up last year to add another cable to the bundle. Vegetation where it runs is partly grass, the rest mixed forest: pine, fir, maple, oak, poplar, ash. While there was brown discoloration of the aluminum in places this was purely on the surface. Most of this was in the on-ground area which had through the years become buried in a semi-rotted layer of leaves and pine straw. There was no evidence of pitting or the aluminum becoming brittle. I expect this is good for many more years.

73,
Paul N1BUG