Re: [TowerTalk] good,bad,ugly opinions on coax in or out

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] good,bad,ugly opinions on coax in or out
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 02:07:34 -0400
Once my ground system was finished for the 100' 45G with a mast supporting a 5L tribander @ 100', 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi with a 29'6" boom @ 115' with a cross boom supporting a pair of 12L C3i 144 MHz antenna and a pair of 11L C3i 440 antennas @ roughly 130 feet, the tower and antennas took 3 visually verified direct strikes per summer, except one. The only damage was the summer before the ground system was finished,. There were two, long UHF TV antennas with preamps. one at 90' pointed SSE and one at 95' pointed roughly NW.

Rarely were the rigs disconnected. I had no damage to any equipment after finishing the ground system even with direct hits to the antennas and/or tower. Coax shields were grounded at both the top and bottom of the tower using bulkhead connectors. Cable entering the house passed through Pollyphasers mounted on a grounded plate at the SPG.

Coax and the rotator cable were taped to one tower leg, on the outside of the tower. Coax from the wire antennas connected to a remote switch mounted at roughly 20 feet on the tower. The switch is configured to short the unused cables and ground all shields.

The lightening did remove all the silver plating from some of the connectors, leaving the brass looking like it had been sand blasted. Even though all the water proofing was removed, there was no moisture ingress as I flood all connectors "up top" with DC-4, or 5 compound,

NOTE: The ground system consists of a network of ~600 feet of bare #2 with 32, or 33, 8' ground rods, CadWelded to the bare #2

73

Roger (K8RI)