Re: [TowerTalk] Strength of installation raising cable for the LM470?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strength of installation raising cable for the LM470?
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 08:49:18 -0700
The 1/4 inch 7x19 SS 304 cable breaking strength I bought for use is 6400 lbs vs 7000 for 1/4 inch 7x19 galvanized aircraft cable, more than ample for my need. I would not call that difference 'one helluva lot less' unless you are referring it to wire rope (winch cable), what the trade calls wire rope, which is rated at a lower breaking strength and typically is a 6x9 or similar wrap and a lower grade steel. You must know what the cable wrap construction (e. g., 1x19, 7x19, 7x7 etc) and wire composition is to determine breaking strength vs generalizing. And there are many different wraps and wire compositions out there from the rope/cable manufacturers, especially for wire rope. For my crankup tower. I procured my cable through the local marine rigging shop in Newport who services the OR central coast fishing/crabbing/trawling fleet. These are experienced riggers who deal with similar situations all the time. You don't want cable failure on a trawling net at sea or on outrigger towers and there is a lot of SS cable at sea.

The comment on the crankup tower attachment point was of interest. I have a HyGain HG-70HD which did not come with a welded tower raising ear. Same for my TriEx WT-51. Both bottom sections are roughly 21 feet. Using the fixture I built with a dual pulleys at the tower and the fixture I set the raising point about 16 feet up from the bottom of the HG-70HD. In the HyGain illustration it appears to be set about 1/2 way up (10 feet up from the bottom). Curious where others have their raising point on a typical 70/90 foot crankup bottom section. My raising fixture looks a lot like the TRX-80.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Thomson