Re: [TowerTalk] To pin or not to pin Correction

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] To pin or not to pin Correction
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 03:23:01 -0400
Paragraph 4 should have the second row of holes start 1:, not 1.5 inches.

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 8/29/2016 Monday 3:04 AM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
The clamp comes off easily as it bolts to a flat plate. The base of the clamp is slotted to allow centering it on different size masts. The mast plate you describe could be slotted to mount the same way in the same place. Just weld it to the bottom of the mast

As for the 8mm hole. There will be two, one on each side. Breaking the continuity of a circle always weakens it On a 2" diameter mast that's 10%. Depending on the mast material, thickness, and how brittle the material the holes weaken the mast. Being as they break the circumference in two spots, they weaken it more than the 10%. How much more is beyond my knowledge. Remember, we have not only weakened the mast, but are applying force in the opposite direction with the shear pin. A reason the shear pin must fit tightly and the hole is a smooth surface with no rough spots to serve as the starting points for cracks.

Take an antenna that uses rivets to hold the elements together. Although small, with the first rivet only a half inch from the end of the larger tube, if the end brakes off, it almost always at the "single rivet" hole.

These are extremes but the small aluminum tube in the element shows that the hole does weaken the tube. If you use two rows offset by 90 degrees, the holes in the two rows should not line up. As an example only: If one row of 3 starts a half inch from the end and has one inch spacing the second row should start 1.5 inches from the end. Holes need to be clean and smooth.

Whether the weakening caused by the holes needs consideration, depends on how close the force we are applying is to the ultimate strength of the mast. This is where size does matter. Larger is better. Much better. With a lot of torque, a 3" mast is much better than a 2" with a thicker wall. Plus the 3" presents a much larger gripping surface assuming the rotator will handle the larger size.

In most cases it's of little concern, but with large antennas weighing several hundred pounds and long booms, the starting and stopping torque can exert thousands of ft lbs. Then the holes need to be taken into consideration.

73

Roger (K8RI)