Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading

To: Gary@ka1j.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:23:06 -0500
Gary,

The wind load of the element starting with 6 feet of 3/4 inch and then 66
inches each of 5/8, 1/2 and 3/8 is 2.55 SF.  The weight is 4.9 pounds not
counting hardware.  It is rated for 41 mph.

This doesn't answer the question about what it will take to turn it over but
first you probably want the elements to be rated for higher than 41 mph.  If
you want me to tell you what you can do to make them stronger, specify the wind
rating for the element and I'll tell you.

I did something similar to what you described for a very heavy duty full sized
40 meter vertical on the beach - starting with 2 inch X 1/8 inch wall at
bottom.  I used a section of PVC electrical conduit (2 inch schedule 40) and
drilled 3/4 inch holes at right angles and about an inch or two apart.  I then
used aluminum tubing to create a "+" at the bottom that extended out about six
feet in all four directions.  A big rock on each end made it very stable.

I would think a sack of pre mixed concrete either formed up or not at each
vertical location would also be easy to accomplish and do the job.

73... Stan, K5GO