[TowerTalk] LMR400 & UF E: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 164, Issue 93

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR400 & UF E: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 164, Issue 93
From: "WK1W-Ivan Shapiro" <WK1W@ivanshapiro.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:11:29 -0400
ABOUT LMR400 AND UF.
ROGER K8RI WROTE:

                LMR-400 is a poor choice for outdoor use, Even Times Wire
rate its life at 10 years. It is flexible, but the              jacket does
not hold up. It's a rubber like material that is easily abraded. I had 5 28'
pigtails that also              served as rotator loops.  4 abraded to the
point that the fpil was visible. One looked good, but the jacket
was no longer waterproof. For flexibility and slippery, I'd go with Davis
BuryFlex.

                I managed to get 6 years out of the LMR400UF. I have a bunch
of LMR600UF that I purchased before I found out                 about the
short lifetime.
                I now use it in conduit to the towers.   73  Roger (K8RI)

I'm new to ham radio and cabling etc.  But before I knew about LMR400/UF,
having bundled four LMR400 runs + Cat 5e + siamese (75 ohm  with 18-2 for
PTZ camera), and having caught the Cat5 in one of the standoffs, I decided
to wrap the bundle in SPLIT-LOOM, the material in auto engine compartments.
That solved the problem.....and I have had no issues with UV.

However, for any additional cabling that I'll do in the future I'll use the
DAVIS BURYFLEX that I subsequently bought.

73
de
WK1W  Ivan

---