Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna modeling question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna modeling question
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 06:21:29 -0700
On 9/4/16 8:50 PM, n0tt1@juno.com wrote:
Gents,

I'd like to build a 40m phased array "inside" my 160m
receiving-only 9-circle and I want to check for any
interaction between the two antennas.

I have the layout in EZNEC 6, but I'm not sure how
to "feed" the 160m array.  Do I let it "float", ground the
elements or what?

Well, what's the antenna element connected to when you're not using it? A piece of coax with no termination? A termination?
You can model that directly.

When I'm looking for interactions, I set the model up and then connect and disconnect the element or structure from ground or a load and see what happens to the antenna being modeled. You can look at the feedpoint Z and see if it changes, or look a the pattern to see if it turns weird.

it's the "does this make any change" question that tells you if there's interaction.