[TowerTalk] Updated: How to dig tower base hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Updated: How to dig tower base hole
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 09:35:14 -0700
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 05:48:46 -0400
From: Mike <w2gr@aol.com>
To: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>, Tower Talk
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Updated: How to dig tower base hole
effortlessly

That would work if you wanted to install your tower and base on a beach.
Mike W2GR?

##  Actually, Erwin Rommel / aka  desert fox, used the high pressure water
technique to dig all the holes on the beaches of Normandy etc.   Then in went
all the tall steel poles / tubes, and various other tank trap devices.

##  for most run of the mill clay / normal  soil conditions, a back hoe  works
just fine.
Having said that, at a previous qth back in 1984, the back hoe operator  busted
his
real small back hoe clean in half, sheared the  rectangular tubing frame in
half.   The hole
was 6 ft square, and 6 ft deep.  Clay down to the 5 ft level, then this rock
hard blue clay.
Back hoe would not put a dent on the blue clay.   He even put the scoop on the
back end,
face down into the ground, otherwise the back hoe at the front end, when pushed
into the
blue clay, would lift the front wheels  right off the ground.   Didnt  work,
snapped the frame
in half.   So had to  dig the last 1 ft by hand, what a pita.  Soaked the
bottom with water, then
could shovel the muck into a bucket. Then more water, then repeat the process,
etc.

##  Gong show trying to get the broken back hoe out of my back yard....all held
together
with Giant C Clamps etc.  As is, it barely squeaked through my wide gate.

Jim   VE7RF