Re: [TowerTalk] HF6V choke coil

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF6V choke coil
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 20:51:50 -0400
Hello all,

This base coil provides the correct amount of inductance to tune the antenna for a low SWR on 75/80. There is no 'magic bullet' to how much this would be. It all depends on each installation.

I have one installed at a vacation property with about 100 radials. The antenna was given to me and did not have this coil with it. I wound 10-12 close wound wraps of some #14 solid, insulated house wire. I hooked it up and measured the SWR in the part of the band I would be operating. I stretched the coil to lessen the inductance and the SWR decreased. I kept stretching and measuring till I got a good match. My nice, tight coil is now about 14 inches long and in a 270 degree arc. Obviously, I had much more inductance to start with, than I needed. I probably could replace it with 3-4 close wound turns and re-tune, but it's not worth the effort. Ugly, but works fine.

Point is this shouldn't be 'rocket science'. Make a coil with plenty of inductance and then tune it by stretching the coil. Any decent wire is fine.

BTW, if you have a good RF ground (radials) you will find the 2:1 bandwidth quite narrow. Mine is something like 16 KHz. Beware those who say 'I only use ONE ground rod and I have a bandwidth of 200 KHz!' Those antennas generally make good dummy loads, but YMMV.

73 de Steve, NR4M