Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up tower lightning protection

To: Ken Mitchell <kd2kw@yahoo.com>, "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up tower lightning protection
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 22:43:14 -0700
To paraphrase, it depends on what the definition of a "good bond" is. It seems to me that at the overlapped section ends, two legs are always in contact at one level and at least one at the other level. Wind, tilt from gravity, or off center tension from the hoist cables insure the tower sections lean against each other. The wear marks I've seen on the inside of crank up legs have the galvanizing missing where the "sliders" are wearing when the tower is extended. So my bet is the tower legs are the primary ground path, not the cables. So the path inductance is probably about the same as similarly sized fixed towers.

Grant KZ1W