Re: [TowerTalk] Need to identify the tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need to identify the tower
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 22:24:44 -0400
I go with those who say, American.

I had one on a dirt base for many year. "Usually" I had a tribander on it, although I had a 3L Cushcraft tribander @ 90 feet, TV ant at roughly 100' and a big , heavy repeater ant above that. Wayyy too much for that tower!

It was a royal PITA to climb which I did many times. As has already been mentioned, the spacing between the horizontal cross braces was too wide for comfortable climbing. 90 feet is too high to be safe with that tower even with a big TV antenna. 40-50 feet is fine for a 3 or 4L tribander. 1/4" wire rope let alone EHS is too heavy. 1/8th in steel guys are about maximum for safety. I've taken down quite a few and none were straight. 40-50 footer were quite popular in the 60s as tribanders of that era were generally light weight and used ones were plentiful as this area only had about 3 TV stations available. IIRC in the early days only channel 6 out of Lansing was available with a snowy B&W picture However going to 80 or 90 feet with 25G added quite a few. There were a few taller towers with single channel (monobanders made from real Al tubing) for Detroit and Grand Rapids. Many decades (about 5) later when TV went Digital, with two long UHF antennas ( at 90 and 95 ft) I could pull in 22.

I believe the ROHN 20 which was stronger, was listed as a tower for TV antennas. There are still a few American towers in this area, generally free for taking them down.

73

Roger (K8RI)