Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?

To: "'john nistico'" <electric911inc@hotmail.com>, "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:51:21 -0500
Hi John,

   Back in the 70's, on a city lot in W9 land, I used a 40M vertical and
added a make shift ~12' diameter top hat.
   Maybe more like an umbrella hat but it did it's thing.
   All you needed at the base to tune it was a tapped inductor (making an
L-match).
   Adding a relay to select the tap points I recall ~75khz BW on 3.525 MHz
for CW, and switching the match achieved something similar at ~3800 KHz.

For comparison, I also had a low dipole at 35' on 75m.
For DX the vertical won out most of the time by around an S unit.

YMMV

Mike K9MK

PS: I have a 5BTV at the Montana cabin.
    It hears okay but Xmit on 80M always seems futile.