Re: [TowerTalk] Radial field question Single radial wires vs mesh and mo

To: reflector -tower <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial field question Single radial wires vs mesh and more
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 11:43:24 -0500
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Kevin Kidd of AM Ground Systems could learn from us mere amateurs.

Actually amateur radio is where I have acquired much of my learning...

> You don't necessarily need to "spend the money" and use copper mesh.

Nor did I advocate it.  We have mostly stopped using copper mesh around AM
towers due to cost and availability.

> Jim mentioned Rob Sherwood's contribution of using galvanized ground
> screen.  I used his
> ground screen system he presented and had great results.  Still intact
> when I took it up.

How long?  Professional use at radio stations precludes going back and
replacing it every 5 or 10 years.  We typically use 30 years for the life
of a properly built AM ground system.  Lots more in some soils, less in
others.  I have worked on ground systems built in the 40's where you could
expose bright shiny copper with a finger nail.

> I had the four sections of galvanized mesh extending out in four
> directions and used it for years until recently when I went to elevated
> radials about 12 feet above the ground.  As Jim stated with the chemical
> makeup of our soil at any given QTH it may work in one location and not
> another.

That's great.  And I believe that I stated that it might work in some soil.

> Its not very expensive and worth trying. In my case it worked well.  Your
> premise that we should not use the galvanized mesh cannot be regarded as
> universally valid.  It is a good option to "try" at our individual
> stations.  Certainly more cost effective than copper mesh.............

As far as cost effective, see my statements above.

For amateur use, certainly it might be worth a try but in my world we build
for longevity and function.

If your labor and mobilization cost nothing, have at it, but be prepared
for the consequences.

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT