Re: [TowerTalk] Feed line grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Feed line grounding
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 06:08:26 -0700
Think of your grounding points as boundaries.  If you cross a boundary then you
have to do something to the cable such as ground the shields or use
Polyphasors.  Typical boundaries would be top of tower, base of tower, and
entrance to shack.  Typical things that are done would be to ground shields at
top of tower, bottom of tower, and at shack entrance where any lightning
protection (Polyphasor) would also be located.

In your case you may want to a boundary at the coax switch half way up the
tower and ground all the shields there too.

As for your case, I would ground the shield of the OCF at the base of the tower
where it passed through that boundary.  You could avoid that by running the
coax straight to the switch halfway up the tower instead of routing it back to
ground and then back up the tower.

The point is that you work hard to set up these "boundaries" to bleed off a
lightning strike but if you bypass any of them you give a sneak path that
lightning may use to bypass them.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 1