[TowerTalk] F12 XR5 + XM240 on same tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] F12 XR5 + XM240 on same tower?
From: Kelly Jones <kjones@virtualcohesion.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 10:34:09 -0700
Hi all,

I’m in the process of trying to nail down a tower/antenna configuration at
my new QTH.  I recently purchased a home that sits on 3 acres.  However, as
I start measuring and accounting for the required setbacks, etc., I find
that placing a second tower on this lot may be challenging because of its
terrain.  The county regs state I must have the antenna behind the house,
but a large portion of the lot behind the house slopes downhill and I end
up in not so “tower friendly” areas by the time I add all of the heights,
turning radius, setbacks, etc. into the measurements from the lot lines.

I am in the process of purchasing the adjacent lot which is also 3 acres.
That lot is considerably more flat and having a total of 6 acres opens up a
whole new window of options as far as towers are concerned.  In the
interim, I’m considering various shorter term options that will suffice for
a couple of years until I complete the adjacent lot purchase, while at the
same time being able to repurpose any short term option at some point later
in time.

One of the options I’m considering is putting up 60’ of Rohn 45.  At the
60’ mark I’d install a F12 XR-5.  Roughly 10’ above that I’m considering
placing a Cushcraft XM-240.  For 80 & 160, I’d shunt feed the tower.  My
biggest concern with this configuation is interaction between 15 & 40
meters.  Has anybody tried this combination or would somebody more
knowledgeable than me be willing to model this?

Comments and suggestions certainly welcome!

73

Kelly – N0VD