[TowerTalk] DXE 8 element Circle array problem Update

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] DXE 8 element Circle array problem Update
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 12:04:40 -0700
Update:

First of all Thanks the the DXE and Rod for the extensive help.

The problem appears to be located inside the main relay unit. L2 the RF Choke is discolored and starts to smoke with 12v applied. I found two feed line cables where the braid was most likely shorting the center conductor and one cable that had been chewed on by rodents. I am very happy to see no major lightning damage.

Lesson here is triple check all your feed lines and phasing lines to make sure that none of the braid has shorted the center conductor or there are any loose pieces of braid around the center conductor especially with the sticky flooded cable.

The main unit is being returned to DXE for repair.

I still need to check out each active element to make sure they are working properly and are all providing the same output to the main unit when it comes back.

Also another word of warning watch the wiring at the controller and at the relay unit. Connectors are wired backwards from each other.

W0MU