Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Lengths

To: "jcjacobsen@q.com" <jcjacobsen@q.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Lengths
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 19:29:47 -0700
FWIW, I will add that in Minnesota (clay soil) I got decent results with 64
radials of 32 feet on an HF2V.  I laid them on the ground and pinned them
to the ground every 10 or 15 feet with the "U" shaped garden stakes you can
find for sale at any garden shop (the kind usually used to pin down various
sorts of matting to stifle weeds).  I lost two or three to the mower
without affecting performance.  The rest "disappeared" into the top of the
soil and performed well until I had to move.  I suspect with a full sized
vertical, I would have had even better results.

In Arizona (very sandy poor soil) am getting very good results (eg. zones
17, 19, 24, and 26 almost at once) with four raised "batwing" style
verticals on a full sized 80 meter vertical.  If you go with raised
verticals, tune them to the desired center frequency.  This can be done by
cutting one in half, in place, and measuring it as a dipole at double the
desired frequency.  Since they are raised and not under stress, you can
repair the cut with any suitable connector.  We did not solder ours, just
connected them well.  For maximum convenience, ours are raised high enough
that we can walk under them without incident.

YMMV, but that's what I got.

WO7R