Re: [TowerTalk] OCF Dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OCF Dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 10:27:21 -0800
I've written extensively on this and given talks at ham events. Both the writing and slides for the talks are on my website, so I won't repeat them here. If you care about the answer, read them.

What I WILL say here is this -- these antennas DO work, often quite well, for TRANSMITTING. There's nothing wrong about that concept, and how they work has been clearly understood for much of last century.

Their downside is that they are a sitting duck for the RF noise that has increasingly surrounded our stations that prevent us from HEARING all but the loudest stations that we want to work. Except for power line noise, none of these noise sources existed until about the last 15-20 years -- the sources are all sorts of electronic devices and el-cheapo power supplies for our devices. The average home has several dozen of them. Multiply that by the number of homes close to your antenna(s). Any imbalance in an antenna causes the feedline to be part of the antenna. On TX, it doesn't matter, but on RX, because that feedline runs much closer to those noise sources than the antenna (the antenna is up high, so farther away, it gets more signal and less noise).

73, Jim K9YC