[TowerTalk] UN7LZ... and QRM ... apologies...

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] UN7LZ... and QRM ... apologies...
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:13:39 -0500
I just had to get this off my chest ... I feel terrible about this ...

so last night, Sunday the 18th (19th Z) I heard UN7LZ for the first time ...
weak – but there ... so as always I only call if there is a good chance I can
work the station out of fairness to those that are hearing them better ... so I
am trying away and he is just dropping down to where I’m going to have to stop
trying hoping he’ll come back up again ... and all of a sudden my panadapter
shows my TX signal as full band peaks – something is wrong – I look at the SWR
meter and it is saying over 3:1 ... the output is down to 800W ... I stop TXing
immediately ... I think “crap – NOW what?” ... I’ve been having issues with the
amp, an Expert 2K, on SSB when using the built in tuner... it will change
segments on me and create a high SWR then faulting on “HIGH SWR” ... but it had
worked fine up until now on CW ...

so I move off frequency – CAREFULLY listen to be sure no one is there and hit a
few dots – same SWR – so its not the tuner issue as with it the SWR on the
antenna itself isn’t changing ... so I do this for a couple minutes ...

moving higher up – still being sure its clear (using both the dipole and the
HiZ RX array to be sure) ... and the SWR isn’t changing ... still high but the
same ... THEN I realize ... I had the frickin radio set to SPLIT and I am STILL
30Hz above the UN7’s frequency!!!!!!!!

SO – YES – it was me ... and my sincere apologies. It was NOT intentional QRM
... it was just some idiot that THOUGHT he was being careful that was in fact
not.

Again: apologies to those 4 or 5 guys calling and to UN7LZ.

Gary
K9RX

Meanwhile I still now have to figure out why the antenna is acting up. Its been
up for all of 7 weeks... more in a separate thread.