[TowerTalk] length of raised radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] length of raised radials
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 04:14:37 -0500
I read an article, many years ago that dealt with how to improve the current
sharing between the radials. The method was simple: You cut all your radials
short enough to make them about equal but capacitive. Then you add a single
inductor to tune out the total capacitance of the parallel connected radials.

The problem/issue was that when you deal with tuned radials, only a small
variation in length/tuning frequency will cause a large variation in current
through the radials. With shortened radials the length variation would not
cause such as large current difference between the radials and thereby
improving the systems efficiency.

What do you think? Shall we go out, cut the ends off the radials and then we
can use the wire we cut off to :-) make an inductor to tune out the "missing"
length?

I will try it for the next radial field I will put out (unless somebody convice
me it's a bad idea).

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS